Our skin is the largest organ of our human body. Whoa, right?
With that said, skincare is tremendously important. At some point, I never cared too much about it, but as we age, we begin to see slight changes in our skin.
There are so many factors to why your skin is the way it is, too. It could be genetics or our environment. Diet and exercise are a couple of factors. Are you guilty for wearing makeup to the gym? Don’t do that – you’re clogging up your pores and causing you to break out. We all know you want to look cute while running, but come on, that is impossible. I have the ugliest running face by the way.
Although I am not a dermatologist or a beauty expert, friends have asked me about skincare products. So why not? Today’s topic is about the basic foundations of building your skincare regime. Similar to building your wardrobe, you want to have the staples such as a blazer is to a moisturizer. Similar to that.
Here is a quick list of what you need:
- Face wash/ cleanser – a really good product can be used as your makeup remover as well, such as Kiehl’s Ultra Cleanser. The great thing about this product is that it is for all skin types and the texture is amazing; I would say it is similar to a gel texture than a cream?
- Moisturizer – it does not matter if your skin type is dry, sensitive, or normal you need a moisturizer to hydrate your beautiful face. This is super crucial especially in the colder months. I am currently using Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cream and the Midnight Recovery Serum – that was mentioned in last week’s beauty post.
- Toner – it all varies and some people forget this step, and it’s okay. We all may or may not need it, but it is good to add into your regime. For me, I use this as my second step to really get all the dirt off my face. Why do you need a toner? When you are washing your face with products, you are tearing off some pH levels from your face, and the toner is for you balance it out again. I know this sounds really scientific, so I am going to share a piece with you from R29 to prove I am not lying to you, haha.
- Exfoliator – it is important to do this just so you can shed off dead skin. Some facial cleansers and masks have a dual performance as an exfoliator and cleanser. Aveeno is an example of a cleanser and gentle exfoliator product. If there are beads within the product, such as Lush’s Magnanimity that I shared with you all before, then no need to purchase an exfoliator on its own. You can view that post here.
- Sunscreen – believe it or not, there are sunscreens that help with anti-aging and do not have that beachy, sunscreen scent – you know what I am talking about right? When I went in for a facial, the aesthetician asked me if I used SPF on my face and when I said no, she highly suggested that I do because my skin is already in great shape and using sunscreen will help prevent any early signs of wrinkles and sun damages (not that we have plenty here in New York…). You can go fancy or not – whatever floats your boat. As long as you have some SPF on your face. I am currently using Neutrogena’s Facial Moisturizer with SPF 15. Sometimes you can get a sunscreen + moisturizer in one bottle! I love multi-functional products, YAS. If you want to explore, Kiehl’s also has a product that acts as moisturizer and a sunscreen -you can find that here.
Just an FYI: I am not sponsored by the products I am sharing with you – although that would be really, really cool! Anyway, I am one of those individuals who would not spend a lot of money on eyeshadow or mascara, but I would pay a pricey penny for a great face wash or moisturizer. My belief is that when it comes to skincare, that is something we should invest in. Again, it is the largest organ of our bodies. However, if you don’t have the resources to do so, there are plenty of drugstore and low-end brands. One of my personal favorites are Neutrogena and L’Oreal for many reasons. Also, there are so many great beauty gurus on Youtube and beauty blogs that share what brands are great to explore! And if you want me to try something, or curious about a product or procedure, feel free to ask me! I would not say I am guru per se, but I know a thing or two. Maybe three, hehe!
Side note: You know how I want to work in editorial, right? I finally figured out what my speciality would be – surprisingly enough, I would love to be become a beauty editor. I know, it sounds bazaar. I wear minimal make-up, but I realized that I enjoy beauty writing rather than fashion. Sometimes the industry blends in and it all looks the same, but if I were really specialize in one thing and focus on a specific matter, it would be skincare. I love it!
Hope you all are having a fabulous, Sunday. It’s a quiet morning for me, so I might get some reading or writing in. Today I am meeting up with one of my favorite local beauty bloggers, Cynthia. Have you seen her beauty blog? It’s insane and beautifully curated. You can view her blog, here.